Digitalization of road haulage: The introduction of the eCMR in Italy
Italy has recently approved the s.c “National Recovery and Resilience Plan” (#Piano nazionale di Ripresa e Resilienza#), and sent it to Brussels for approval. The plan includes measures on the efficiency and digitalisation of road aimed to focus on the creation of “Infrastructures for sustainable mobility", in accordance with the newly released European Regulations n.2020/1056 and n. 2020/1055.
After the plan, the Italian government expects main impact from the introduction of the eCMR, by means:
"- greater security, speed and cost-effectiveness of information flows;
- simplification of information flows between the actors in the logistics chain;
- reduction of issuing costs, which are much lower than those of the paper CMR;
- less possibility of errors and discrepancies between the versions held by the sender, the carrier and the consignee of the goods;
- greater transparency and ease of control, with particular regard to intermodality and the duplication of controls, by virtue of the constant monitoring of operations and the possibility of accessing information in real time;
- encouragement of the competitiveness of Italian road haulage companies in the acquisition of international transport contracts from companies in countries that already apply the aforementioned Protocol".
If eCMR will be introduced a lot of interesting and challenging work is coming up for both the commercial as well as the legal sector as it is peculiar to any innovation.